Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Angeline the Baker / Needle Case

Here are two banjo tunes that I've decided to post up here, even if the playing isn't as refined as I'd like it to be. The first, "Angeline the Baker", is especially appropriate as I've lately been experimenting with baking bread a lot. There's another song called "Angelina Baker" and I'm not sure about the relationship between the two. "Angelina Baker" seems to be a lot more complex and yet there seem to be some connections in the lyrics between the two. It might well be that "Angeline the Baker" is a modification of the chorus of "Angelina Baker".









Angeline, the baker, Angeline, the baker,
Angeline, the baker, I love you Angeline.

Angeline, the baker, she's so long and tall,
she sleeps out in the kitchen with her feet out in the hall.

Angeline the baker, her age is forty three,
She chases boys around the house, but she ain't gonna get me.

This second tune's just an instrumental. I've put it here because it's in the same "double C" tuning as "Angeline the Baker" and it's a really pretty tune. Adding to the authenticity of the "do-it-yourself" recording experience, there's a noticeable whirr in the background of this recording. That's my laptop protesting.








And here's a really inspiring rendition of "Angeline the Baker":

No comments: